The first settlers to Alverton, located in East Huntingdon township
(organized in 1798), were Scotch-Irish who came from the eastern part of Pennsylvania; many of which were of German descent belonging to the Mennonite church. Among the leading names were Overholt, Funk, Stauffer, Welty, Dillinger, Strohm, Ruth, Shupe, Sherrick, Loucks, Mumaw, Stoner, Fretts, Fox, etc., many of whose descendants are yet residents of this community. The village was originally named Stonersville but due to other PA villages with the same name, in the late 1800s the US Post Office renamed the village as Alverton (a small village near Nottingham, England
Circa 1800 a Mennonite Meeting House was established at Stonersville and in the middle 1800's a new protestant denomination, Church of God, from the Harrisburg area established a congregation at the same location (see www.cbcog.org)
The Railroad Station was removed in the early 1900s but a Hotel
built in 1900 adjacent to the railroad is still in use as an apartment building. Most of the stores and blacksmith shop that lined the main street have been torn down or destroyed by fire.
In 1899 the area's first high school
was built in Alverton. A four room, two story brick building with a central bell tower served in this capacity until a new East Huntingdon High School
was built in 1927. The old high school was converted to an elementry school, grades 1 through 6 and the Elementary School converted to Industrial Arts/Home Ec building
. Later in the 1950s a new Elementary School was built and soon thereafter a jointure with the Scottdale School District resulted the present Southmoreland School District
, thus a new building
was erected across the road from the old building.
In the 1900s many coal mines and a series of behive type coke ovens were established nearby.
ALVERTON CEMETERY HISTORY
In the early 1800s a burial site at Stonersville was established adjacent to the Mennonite Meeting House - The Mennonite Cemetery Association. The Cemetery Association was incorporated in 1878 and while the official corporate name has not changed the cemetery is presently more commonly known as the Alverton Cemetery Association (DBA).
Pictured below is the largest monument in the cemetery - The Dillinger Obelisk.
The Dillinger Obelisk, Mennonite Cemetery, Alverton, PA.
Photograph by Sam Komlenic, © 4-16-05
SAMUEL DILLINGER, a leading man of affairs in the early development of Westmoreland county, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in East Huntingdon township, Westmoreland county, October 28, 1810. He was of German descent in both parental lines and along with his sons, an active businessman of the area.
It has been reported that it took 16 horses to pull the monument up the hill to its location